Economic Support Services

The function of the Economic Support Unit is to help families in need become self-sufficient and independent of the public assistance system.  We do this by assessing the family’s financial situation, determining eligibility for interim public assistance programs, and referring persons who are able to work to job seeking activities.

Southern Consortium Call Center

The Southern Consortium Call Center will process all needs for the Economic Support Programs -  FoodShare, BadgerCare/Medical Assistance and Child Care programs.  This includes new requests for assistance, changes, renewals, document processing and much more. The Call Center serves Rock, Iowa, Crawford, Green, Grant, Jefferson, and Lafayette County Economic Support customers.  The Southern Call Center hours of operation are 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday.  Thursday hours are 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.  Closed on holidays.

Southern Call Center Contact Info:       Toll Free Phone:  888-794-5780

Central Data Processing Unit (CDPU) Fax:  855-293-1822



Medical Assistance (MA):  Wisconsin’s ForwardHealth Medicaid plans for Elderly, Blind or Disabled provide health care for those who are, age 65 or older, blind or disabled, with income at or below the monthly program limit, and who are United States citizens or legal immigrants. For more information visit 

BadgerCare Plus (BC+): BadgerCare Plus is a health care coverage program for low-income Wisconsin residents.  Children, Pregnant Women and Adults who need and want health insurance are eligible to apply.  For more information visit

FoodShare (FS):  Provides FoodShare to most households that meet certain financial and non-financial requirements helping low-income families and individuals buy nutritious food.  For more information visit

Family Planning Waiver Program (FPOS):  This plan provides certain family planning related services.  The purpose of this plan is to stop unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).  To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen, or have proof of immigration status, be at least 15 years old, not be getting ForwardHealth for the Elderly, Blind or Disabled or BadgerCare Plus Standard or Benchmark Plans, and have a family gross income of no more than 300% of the federal poverty level (for minors, parent  income is not counted). For more information -

Caretaker Supplement (CTS):  Wisconsin Caretaker Supplement (CTS) is a cash benefit available to parents who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments.  Caretaker Supplement is not a Medicaid benefit; it pays cash only to eligible parents. For more information visit

To complete an online application for any of the programs listed above visit


Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP):  Assists in paying heating costs for low-income households.  A one-time-per-heating-season payment is issued to the fuel providers.  Crisis assistance is available to persons who have already received their regular payment but have an emergency fuel need or a problem with their heating unit. For more information visit 

Wisconsin Shares – Child Care Subsidy Program:  Helps families with the cost of childcare while their parents are at work, work and school, and/or participating in a work program. For more information visit

If you enjoy working with children and would be interested in becoming a Certified Day Care Provider for Lafayette County, please call Lynette Boatman at 608-776-4901 and she will send out an application packet explaining statutes, fees and paperwork required to be completed.

Lafayette County Human Services

15701 County Road K

PO Box 130,

Darlington, WI 53530

Phone: 608-776-4800   ---   Fax: 608-776-4914


If you see any mistakes or discrepancies within this website, please contact the website administrator at: